Friday, July 1, 2011

36 Days

It is almost shocking to think that I am getting so close that I can count the days. A year ago this seemed like an improbable dream and now it has all turned in to reality.
Since graduation I have been mostly bumming around considering that I left my before graduation. I went for a week with my aunt and grandma down to California for a week of great fun. I had a chance to visit Disneyland, Hollywood, and Palm Springs. I also got to know some family a lot better than I had before.
Lately though I have had way to much time to sit around and watch tv, but I have used some of it to study my Finnish and get back to doing some lazy hobbies like reading and knitting. A lot of people have recently asked me if I am scared and my answer has always been "not yet". I know that there will be an inevitable self doubting day in which I question why I wanted to do this all in the first place. I've been studying Finnish, but I know it is not nearly enough. Even if I studied until I got there I am still going to be a stranger in a strange land.
It has also been a while since I've gotten new and exciting news, something that always motivates me to work harder at learning about Finland. I can't wait to hear about my plane ticket and visa!
Next Friday, my parents and I are traveling to Grand Rapids, MI for the CSRYE district conference. I am really excited to meet some more people who will be going to Finland with me and to go to all the orientation meetings. Up until now they have given us some basic information but we are always told that we will learn more in Michigan and now we are soon to be there. I just thought I'd give everyone a quick update about what has been going on in the past couple of weeks as I enjoy my summer and prepare for my departure date August 6, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment