Wednesday, May 4, 2011

District Conference and Placement

It has been quite a while since I've written anything, partly because not a whole lot has happened as far as my exchange, and also partly because I've been so busy with school. Last weekend I attended the Rotary District 5580 Conference in Grand Forks, North Dakota. It was partly to learn more about Rotary, but it was mostly just a way to get to see Inbounds and my fellow Outbounds again. We arrived on Thursday, and spent Friday and Saturday listening to speakers, practicing for our talent show, and having some sessions talking about our experience next year. It was all a lot of fun, and the talent show was in high praise. It was a bittersweet moment leaving on Sunday morning because some of us will never see each other, as most of the Inbounds are leaving fairly soon after school is over.
Yesterday I got an email from a Rotarian informing me of my city placement in Finland. I will be living in Hamina, Finland. It is a town of 20,000 people and is located on the Gulf of Finland 150km from Helsinki and 40km from Russia. I will be attending the Haminan Lukio School which judging by their website looks ten times nicer than Pelican Rapids High School. I'm still trying to find out how many kids attend the school but there is a bit of a language barrier for me. I really need to crack down on my language seeing as I only have a little over 13 weeks left in the United States. I know the names of my host parents, but am still waiting to be contacted by them.
This weekend is Prom so I will try to post some pictures of that, but I usually end up forgetting to take them. Also coming up in three weeks is my high school graduation. I am graduating as valedictorian of my class, so I need to complete my speech soon. Tons is coming up in my life and I will be in Finland before I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment